2007-11-08

rolling down planes

Sanjoy Mahajan (MIT) and I have spent a lot of time talking about balls rolling down planes, in part because it is a very rich physics problem, and in part because it was the experiment that allowed Galileo to infer the constant acceleration behavior and galilean relativity. I started on this problem in class yesterday, but considering only the three energies: potential, linear kinetic, and rotational kinetic. When I asked the class to predict the outcome, I was surprised that I could get all three answers to the question "will the tube roll down the plane faster, slower, or at the same speed as a block sliding with little friction?" Even when we were done, not everyone got the inference, but I have to admit, the issue is subtle. Next time I will start to look at the problem from the point of view of forces; unfortunately, the class isn't quite ready for torques yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment